Fact: the book review for Yes Please by Amy Poehler on my blog has not been written by me. It was written by a friend, a contributor who has also contributed the Feminist Beyonce series. However I have long since read Yes Please by Amy Poehler and I decided to share some of my favourite quotes.
This is not just a celebrity written book made for money (even though I’m sure it did okay). This book is funny, heartwarming and honest. I’m very critical about what I read but this book will most likely make it into my top 10 book read this year. It made me shake my head many times in agreement and woop woop at kick-ass anecdotes as well as cheer Amy’s Feminist rants, but finally this book made me laugh out loud – so many times.
1. I like hard work and I don’t like pretending things are perfect.
2. I know enough now, to know I know nothing.
3. Great people do things before they are ready.
4. Can we figure out what we want and ask for it, Yes Please.
5. Good for her, not for me.
For me this line completely changed the way I look at things. I have repeated it to myself and many people since reading this book. The whole concept comes out Poehler’s annoyance at female-on-female hate and how this act is like a drive-by. Our hate on each other leaves us wounded. So her tactic is, ‘good for her, not for me’ and I love this. When you don’t agree with someone, anyone / not even exclusively women. Or someone is expressing an opinion you don’t love or wearing sunglasses indoors. Just repeat the matra. Of course there are moments where this won’t apply but pick your battles wisely. Every battle should be meaningful and it won’t be if you jump at everyone’s throat.
6. My personality is my currency.
7. Try to care less. Practice ambivalence. Learn to let go of wanting it. Treat your career like a bad boyfriend. Ambivalence is key to success. You have to care about your work but not about the result. This is difficult. You will never climb career mountain and shout “I made it”. It doesn’t matter how much you get you will always want more.
Great advice. Fantastic advice.
8. Creativity is connected to passion.
9. Time can be your bitch if you let go of your next and before.